Date:      Thu, 8 Aug 2002 20:07:42 -0700
From:      Adam Weinberger <adam@vectors.cx>
To:        Office of the Administrator <admin@aeonflux.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libc.so.5" not found

libc.so.5 is standard for use with the linux_base-6 emulation. are these
programs linux binaries? if so, have you recently installed
linux_base-7?

are you using a new ports tree? unfortunately, because you are running
an older FreeBSD version and haven't upgraded, it's hard to know what
you may have installed and what version of whatnot you're dealing with.

if libc.so.5 truly does not exist, install ports/emulators/linux_base-6
or, if no such dir exists (again, i don't know how old your tree is),
ports/emulators/linux_base or ports/emulators/linux_base-6.1. if this is
NOT a linux binary, then you need to examine which parts of your O/S
you've been tinkering with.

-Adam

--
"Oh good, my dog found the chainsaw."