Date:      Mon, 24 Mar 2003 14:59:58 -0500
From:      The Anarcat <anarcat@anarcat.ath.cx>
To:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        Don <don@calis.blacksun.org>, Craig Reyenga <creyenga@connectmail.carleton.ca>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Broken DMA devices

--MW5yreqqjyrRcusr

On Mon Mar 24, 2003 at 11:52:07AM -0800, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > PS: what's the proper way to enable ATAPI DMA in the loader.conf file?
> > I don't see any flag WRT that there.. I'm tempted to add:
> >=20
> > set hw.ata.atapi_cam=3D3D1
> >=20
> > anywhere there...
>=20
> Close. Add:
> hw.ata.atapi_dma=3D"1"    # Run the CD-ROM/DVD in DMA mode
> to /boot/loader.conf.
>=20
> This should be in almost EVERY /boot/loader.conf. The default is 0 (PIO)
> because DMA is broken on at least a few early CD readers, but it is
> very rare to have it fail. (I've never seen it.)

Can't the ata drivers detect that condition or recognize the set of
drives that are broken instead of penalizing everyone else?

A.

--=20
Advertisers, not governments, are the primary censors of media content=20
in the United States today.
                        - C. Edwin Baker
                        http://www.ad-mad.co.uk/quotes/freespeech.htm

--MW5yreqqjyrRcusr