Date:      24 Aug 1998 02:13:23 -0500
From:      stephen farrell <stephen@farrell.org>
To:        vitus@fe.msk.ru
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: catdoc

vitus@fe.msk.ru writes:

> On 21 Aug 1998, stephen farrell wrote:
>

> > thanks for making a new version of your catdoc program available!  I
> > made a "port" for freebsd, and the following patch might be of
> > interest to you:
>
> Thank you for your suggestions. I would incorporate some of them
> into alpha 3 release.
>
> Unfortunately, in alpha 2 version I have to switch from /usr/bin/install
> to plain old cp and chmod, becouse I was unable to overcome differences
> between installs on BSDI, Solaris and Linux.

Hmm... I know autoconf handles this ok, so it must be possible?
perhaps just use cp & chmod in the degenerative case?  With FreeBSD,
there is a variable set up BSD_INSTALL_BINARY, iirc, that is set to
install with the correct flags.  If you use cp & chmod, then the
FreeBSD "port" will surely just change this to BSD_INSTALL_BINARY...

(any suggestions from freebsd-ports??)

> P.S. What a reason of changing optimization mode from -O2 to -O?
> Is there some problems on freeBSD with -O2 compilied version?
> On BSDI 3.1 -O2 works.

There was no reason, and it was a mistake on my part anyway: With
FreeBSD, people like to define CFLAGS in /etc/make.conf so they can
control these sorts of things in a global fashion--this is what I
should have done, instead of mucking with them.  While I have not
tested it, I have no reason to think that 02 won't work.

--

Steve Farrell