Date:      Thu, 7 Mar 2002 18:37:44 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Cydney Johnson <cydneyjohnson@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: UNIX INSTALLAION

On 2002-03-06 15:15, Cydney Johnson wrote:
> Hi I am a student at "THE SEATTLE VOCATIONAL INSTITUTE"  and I am
> performing a unix installation on a pc.  I'm having alot of trouble even
> with the book that came with programs.  I'm using freebsd 4.0 and the book
> that came with it is called the Complete FreeBSD.  When I try to execute
> the commands in the book i get errors.  I installed by booting from a
> floppy then using the stand/sysinstall command I go to the graphical
> interface.  I then proceed...I configured and got rid of the
> conflicts...then I continue with the installation of the distributions and
> configuring the mouse and monitor.  Everything seems to be ok...I have
> screen saver but I cant use startx and view the os with graphics.  I keep
> getting an error that reads.......
>
> execve failed for /usr/X11R6/bin/X (errno 2)
>
> _X11TransSocketUNIXConnect:  Can't connect: errno = 2
>
> _X11TransSocketUNIXConnect:  Can't connect: errno = 2

This means that the startx' program tries to execute another program called
X from the /usr/X11R6/bin directory.  That program does not exist, and
startx fails.  The /usr/X11R6/bin/X program is usually a symbolic link to
the proper XF86_xxx program in that same directory.  When you configure
XFree86 you are asked during the configuration process:

	Should I create the X server symbolic link?

Answer 'yes' to that question, and the link will be created.

Giorgos Keramidas                       FreeBSD Documentation Project
keramida@{freebsd.org,ceid.upatras.gr}  http://www.FreeBSD.org/docproj/