Date:      Wed, 4 Jan 1995 08:50:23 -0500 (EST)
From:      william pechter ILEX <pechter@stars.sed.monmouth.army.mil>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.sax.de
Cc:        FreeBSD-hackers@wcarchive.cdrom.com (FreeBSD-hackers)
Subject:   Re: Bad sectors on SCSI drive!

> As Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> |
> | > Allright, so what can be done?  How can I map out bad sectors on a scsi
> | > drive?  Do I have to newfs the drive?
> |
> | Return it to the manufacturer.  A good SCSI drive shouldn't develop faults
> | like this, and when it does, it's time to shoot it.
>
> If you don't like this, hook it up to a SCSI adapter with PC BIOS
> enabled, start the BIOS diag (usually g c800:6 or so from a debugger),
> and try to low-level format it.  Some people say this causes bad
> sectors to be re-mapped.

Adaptec has a scsi format utility that will do the same thing with
the 154x controllers and probably the other adaptec ones.

Check their ftp site.

Bill
 Bill Pechter |Systems Administrator  |
 Ilex Systems |170 Patterson Ave      | Shrewsbury, New Jersey 07702
 908-532-2943 |pechter@sesd.ilex.com  | pechter@stars.sed.monmouth.army.mil