Date:      Sun, 18 May 1997 12:33:05 -0400
From:      Ken Presser <kendp@ibm.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   XF86 Default Screen Resolution?

With all of the configuration options for XF86 I am having trouble deciding
which is the "best" way to change the default resolution when I run startx.
 What with XF86Config, startx, .xinitrc, .Xresources, etc. there are a lot
of places to change things.

What I want to do is make the 800x600 8 bit color the default when I start
X.  I have experimented with CTL-ALT-<Keypad +> and found that to be the
most pleasing to the eye.  The system currently comes up in an 1152x864
mode and I am not sure how to tell what depth it is running.  I want to
keep the two higher screen resolutions available via CTL-ALT-<Keypad +/->,
but want it to start up in 800x600.

Also, anyone know how to speed up the mouse a little?  It's a PS/2 and
needs a little acceleration in XF86.

Thanks in advance. - Kenp.