Date:      Mon, 17 Aug 1998 10:58:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Francisco Reyes <reyesf@newsguy.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: How to NOT get booteasy at install?

On Sat, 15 Aug 1998, Francisco Reyes wrote:

> Every time I install FreeBSD I get Booteasy. With every new install I
> try to NOT have installed, but no matter what I do it installs.

At the selection screen arrow down to 'none', hit the spacebar, *then*
return.  If you just hit return you select 'OK' to install BootEasy and
don't change the radiobutton.  With libdialog you have to get into the
habit of using space to select and enter to proceed.

> Just installed 2.2.7 and not only Booteasy was installed, but for the
> first time I am not able to get rid of it. I use OS/2 boot manager.

> How I installed 2.2.7: Did label without going into partitioning.
> Deleted old mount points (slices?) and did new ones (I wanted to
> change the space allocation). Continue with install. I was not asked
> if I wanted boot easy or not.

You should have. Hm..

> After install finished I reboot and found Booteasy install. At first
> it seemed to be working; I was able to go into win95, OS/2 and
> FreeBSD. This morning I was not able to go into Win95 and when I went
> into OS/2 I got OS/2's boot manager and still could not boot Win95.
>
> >From OS/2 tried re-installing the boot manager. Tried deleting the
> FreeBSD partition. Finally I boot from a win95 floppy and did "sys
> c:". I STILL get booteasy, but at least now I can get into win95.

That was overkill....

> Questions
> -How do I get rid of booteasy so I can re-install OS/2 boot manager?

Simply run fdisk /mbr, then run fdisk again and select the Bootmanager
partition as the active one.