Date:      Sat, 4 Feb 2006 11:17:06 +0530
From:      Joseph Koshy <joseph.koshy@gmail.com>
To:        Madhavan Srinivasan <maddy_work@yahoo.co.in>
Cc:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help need

>      I am a newbie to freebsd. But i do like to
> contribute to the development of this OS. Kindly can

Excellent.  You might want to start with FreeBSD/ia32
if you are new to FreeBSD.

> somebody tell me where to start. I am a programmer, so
> i guess i can catch up bitter faster if somebody
> directs me to proper start. I do like to start with
> 32bit compilation of this OS and understanding its
> flow. So I need help here.

Basically do the following:

 * Start with the various Handbooks (Devel, Arch, User)
   published by the project.
 * Subscribe to the Freebsd-hackers and FreeBSD-current
   mailing lists to keep upto date.
 * Read up on how to mirror FreeBSD's sources and how
   to build the system from source.
 * Play around with 'make world' and 'make kernel'.

Once you are upto speed, you can check out your understanding
of the code by fixing some of the PRs (bugs) in FreeBSD's
PR database.

You can also contribute by porting applications and
contributing documentation.

--
FreeBSD Volunteer,     http://people.freebsd.org/~jkoshy