Date:      Wed, 13 Jun 2001 15:40:22 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        Ryan Masse <mail@max-info.net>
Cc:        Rob Simmons <rsimmons@wlcg.com>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RELENG_4_3

On 2001-Jun-13 00:33:44 -0400, Ryan Masse <mail@max-info.net> wrote:
>not sure what exactly you mean by this. RELENG_4_3 is a security branch
>specifically for 4.3-RELEASE. The standard make
>buildworld/installworld/kernel would update your 4.3-RELEASE box with the
>latest security fixes. Mergemaster in this situation can be skipped.

No it can't.  Since Rob's box is at -STABLE, it may be running _later_
versions of some scripts.  In any case, mergemaster still needs to be
run on the RELENG_4_3 branch in case a security fix impacts /etc and
related files.

>> What is the best way to go about this?  The buildworld/installworld/kernel
>> part is straightforward.  How would I get mergemaster to work in this
>> situation.

mergemaster does a equality comparison, rather than a relational
comparison, on the CVS Id line.  This means that you should be able to
use mergemaster normally to go backwards in time, or across branches.

Peter