Date:      Mon, 12 Jan 1998 10:14:02 -0600
From:      Jacques Vidrine <n@nectar.com>
To:        Tom <tom@sdf.com>
Cc:        John Kelly <jak@cetlink.net>, dmaddox@scsn.net, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PAP login

I hinted in my reply, but I guess I was too sleepy to be very clear :-)

Login prompts require an end-to-end asynchronous connection.

ISDN is synchronous.

Portmasters and Ascends, at least, can't manage a terminal session
over a synchronous connection.

Using V.120 does sync/async conversion, so with V.120 you _can_ get
a login prompt, and run asynchronous PPP framing.

However, if you want to do Multilink PPP, you have to run synchronous
PPP framing.  The BitSURFR is one of those cool devices that convert
asynchronous PPP frames into synchronous PPP or MP frames.

OK, it still might not be clear, I've only had one cup of coffee yet
this morning :-)

Jacques Vidrine <n@nectar.com>