Date:      Mon, 16 Oct 1995 18:56:09 +0300 (MSK)
From:      =?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?= (aka Andrey A. Chernov, Black Mage) <ache@astral.msk.su>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, phk@critter.tfs.com
Cc:        hackers@freefall.freebsd.org, j@uriah.heep.sax.de, kaleb@x.org
Subject:   Re: A couple problems in FreeBSD 2.1.0-950922-SNAP

In message <199510161541.BAA00990@godzilla.zeta.org.au> Bruce Evans
    writes:

>>isspace() is purity killer.

>>>Almost everything references printf so 2) applies to almost everything.
>>>Thus we have about 55 * 20K of bloat in [s]bin mainly for the stupid
>>>reason that a function that is almost never called (strtod()) needs to
>>>know what a space is.

>>vfprintf module calls too many functions besides dtoa, they are
>>fflush, swsetup, sfvwrite, abort, etc. I am not shure that any of them
>>not calls ctype functions indirectly additionly.

>They don't.  vfscanf() calls __dtoa() but is not used nearly as much as
>vfprintf().

Ok, it seems your idea to have two startup_locale stubs is useful.
I think before implementing it we need to cleanup our libc (as
well as other libraries too) to _not_ use ctype calls in pure-ASCII
case and separate functions wich uses them from ones which not uses.
It can takes much time...

--
Andrey A. Chernov        : And I rest so composedly,  /Now, in my bed,
ache@astral.msk.su       : That any beholder  /Might fancy me dead -