Date:      Sun, 31 Aug 2014 13:17:38 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <alfred@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org, Gleb Smirnoff <glebius@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: [CFT/review] new sendfile(2)

On 8/31/14 9:50 AM, Gleb Smirnoff wrote:
>    John-Mark,
>
> On Tue, Jul 29, 2014 at 04:24:04PM -0700, John-Mark Gurney wrote:
> J> Gleb Smirnoff wrote this message on Thu, May 29, 2014 at 14:20 +0400:
> J> >   One of the approaches we are experimenting with is new sendfile(2)
> J> > implementation, that doesn't block on the I/O done from the file
> J> > descriptor.
> J>
> J> I know this is a reply to an old message, but...
>
> I am also sorry for late reply on late reply :)
>
> J> How is this different from:
> J>            SF_NODISKIO.  This flag causes any sendfile() call which would
> J>            block on disk I/O to instead return EBUSY.  Busy servers may bene-
> J>            fit by transferring requests that would block to a separate I/O
> J>            worker thread.
>
> It is very different. New sendfile(2) simply doesn't block and returns
> success :) The I/O completes outside of syscall context.
>
> J> > 1) Split of socket buffer sb_cc field into sb_acc and sb_ccc. Where
> J> > sb_acc stands for "available character count" and sb_ccc is "claimed
> J> > character count". This allows us to write a data to a socket, that is
> J> > not ready yet. The data sits in the socket, consumes its space, and
> J> > keeps itself in the right order with earlier or later writes to socket.
> J> > But it can be send only after it is marked as ready. This change is
> J> > split across many files.
> J>
> J> This change really should be split out and possibly committed seperately
> J> after a review by the proper people...
>
> Of course. It actually makes 80% of the volume of the patch.

This change has high value, although it has a lot of changes for what
appears to be an interesting edge case.

As I read this it really confused me, can't this be accomplished by
utilizing the socket's callback and pointer parameter instead?

Basically you would put all that accounting inside a struct hung off of
so->sb_snd.sb_upcallarg and set a callback to do your queuing.

That is how you can async drive thread to queue more data, in fact by
using aio to read/write to the socket from a stream.

It should be relatively simple, the only tricky part being that you'll
need to watch your locks and sleeps inside the so->sb_snd.sb_upcall
function.

Basically move the sb_acc and all of that into a special struct hung off
of so->sb_snd.sb_upcallarg and leverage so->sb_snd.sb_upcall to queue
more data as space becomes available.

At least that's how I would have tried to accomplish this... but maybe
you went down this path and hit a non-starter?

-Alfred