Date:      Mon, 07 Feb 2000 15:47:15 -0500
From:      "James A. Mutter" <jmutter@ds.net>
To:        Tim Ryder <jawse@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Support

> I am currently using Debian Gnu/Linux and am thinking
> of switching over to freeBSD.  I used it about a year
> ago, but I am concerned with support for products.  I
> work as a developer for FreeRide.com, LLC and need to
> be able to view flash and have some other multimedia
> support.
>
> Does anyone know when flash 4 will be supported?

Can't help there, sorry.

> Is it really worth switching over from linux to bsd?

I thought so - that was over two years ago and I don't plan on going
back to Linux any time soon.  :)

> Is there a project right now to bring dvd rom support
> to freeBSD?

Don't know.  I'm sure someone is working on it though.

> Will all my linux games run like Quake and
> Civilization?

Certainly will - some might even say they'll run faster.

> I have freeBSD 3.2, will it be easy for me to upgrade
> via ftp? I currently use apt-get for all my updates?
> What is the bsd equivalent?

At this stage in the game you might want to wait a few months and wait
for the 4.0 release.

A typical BSD system comes with the sources for kernel and userland
applications.  The 'cvsup' application is generally used to sync your
source tree with the current stable source tree.  These updates include
such things as new/modified applications, new kernel code, and general
enhancements.  Only after an application or idea has been throughly
tested in -CURRENT does it make it into the -STABLE source tree.

> I would also like to get involved with the development
> process(if i decide to swich over), I currently work
> with c, java, perl, etc.
> How would I go about getting involved?

Follow the freebsd-hackers list and start contributing.