Date:      Mon, 28 Aug 1995 16:02:25 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jim Bryant <jbryant@argus.iadfw.net>
To:        rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com (Rodney W. Grimes)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: S.O.S -2.1Stable and ASUSP54TP4

In reply:
> From: "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
> Subject: Re: S.O.S -2.1Stable and ASUSP54TP4
> To: msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
> Date: Mon, 28 Aug 1995 10:25:23 -0700 (PDT)

the ST-32550N is the 2 gigger barracuda. got one here at home, and works great.

we have heavily used servers using Barracudas, and a couple of Hawks, both
2 and 4 gig models.  we have had no apparent heating problems.  I do have some
problems with certain Connor 2-Gig drives...  You can fry an egg on them...
I'm afraid to put one in a system of any importance...  Although the one I have
in my home box here [the CPF2107S], has yet to have any problems with this
model [not quite as good as the barracuda on the i/o speeds, though].

But then again, the servers I mention are in a temperature/humidity controlled
environment; other cases and environments could cause overheating of ANY drive.

> > Jordan K. Hubbard stands accused of saying:
> > > Your barracuda has probably dropped off-line.  How hot is it in your
> > > case, anyway? :-) These drives get VERY WARM during operation and need
> > > good ventilation to be happy!  On hot days in badly designed cases,
> > > they tend to go on vacation pretty predictably.
> >
> > Just on the 'cuda thread; I had opportunity to eyeball a pile of -4's
> > tonight.  Some observations for fans of big and fast disks, and
> > particularly those that have met these drives before :
>
> By -4's do you mean ``Hawk-4'' series drives?  As far as I can tell
> the -4 in Barracuda-4 and Hawk-4 just means it is a 4G drive.
>
> >  - They're quiet.  (Yes, sports fans, quiet)
> >  - They don't get very hot.  (One busy unit packed in a small,
> >    convection-cooled case with its power supply was finger-touch
> >    warm - all of the drives had been running for over a week)
>
> That was _not_ a Barracuda drive, unless seagate did some major
> changes and didn't change the model name/number.  Please give exact
> details as to seagate model number.  I suspect you where looking at
> a Hawk drive (ST15230N), which do match the above description.
>
> > I think that Seagate may be moving in the right direction with these
> > puppies. (Mind you, they're as picky as all get-out about SCSI cabling
> > and termination 8( )
>
> All fast scsi-ii drives are.
>

> --
> Rod Grimes                                      rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com
> Accurate Automation Company                 Reliable computers for FreeBSD

Jim
--
All opinions expressed are mine, if you   | "I will not be pushed, stamped,
think otherwise, then go jump into turbid | briefed, debriefed, indexed, or