Date:      Wed, 11 Sep 1996 17:12:08 +0200 (SAT)
From:      John Hay <jhay@mikom.csir.co.za>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Does IPX routing work? ... Of course. :-)

> I've got an IP gateway box which has 5 ethernets plugged into it,
> using the de0 and ed0 drivers.  One one ethernet is an IPX server
> which some IPX clients on another ethernet would very much like to go
> to, but I'm not sure how to route this IPX traffic.
>
> The most obvious technique, of course, would simply be to compile
> a kernel with options IPX turned on and then run ``IPXrouted -s /var/log/ipx'',
>
> Any special incantation which I'm missing?  Thanks!

Three things I can think of.

Our IPX only support ETHERNET_II framing. NOT 802.3 (yet)

You will have to ifconfig each interface that you want to use with IPX,
with an IPX network address. These can be randomly chosen except where
you already have a Novell server or something else that is configured
with an IPX network address. (Each net must be unique though.)

You must enable IPX forwarding in the kernel with sysctl. The variable
is something like "net.ipx.ipx.forwarding". I'm not at a -cuurent box
now.

John
--
John Hay -- John.Hay@mikom.csir.co.za