Date:      Wed, 7 Aug 1996 11:30:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To:        Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
Cc:        hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I have 2 patches

On Tue, 6 Aug 1996, Tom Samplonius wrote:
>   FWTK can not be used on "revenue generating" systems without a
> commercial licence.  "revenue generating" is very broad, and covers most
> installations.

Maybe you have an old copy of the license, see

    ftp://ftp.tis.com/pub/firewalls/toolkit/README

There is no such restriction in the TIS FWTK license.  The closest it
comes to this is that you can't use FWTK in software that you sell,
in other words they don't want you "private labeling" FWTK.

There was a FWTK BOF at the recent Usenix Security conference in San Jose
and the TIS representative was pretty clear that:

    Reselling FWTK is a no no :).

    Charging for consulting to install it for someone else is a little
    grey, but if you only do a couple of systems a year they will give you
    their permission.

    Charging to cleanup after someone botches an install on their own is OK
    with TIS.

    There are *no* restrictions on using FWTK on a commercial system.

TIS wants to keep track of who has FWTK installed so that patches and
advisories can get sent out.  Aside from the obvious limit on resale,
this last is the reason they want you to register.

This is all based on my memory of the BOF (two weeks ago), IANAL, etc...

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                                    714 443 4172
 DPC Systems                                                  dan@dpcsys.com