Date:      Sun, 10 Sep 2006 23:29:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ted Johnson <whatawonderfulworldweliveintoo@yahoo.com>
To:        Atom Powers <atom.powers@gmail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hell Installing OpenLDAP/Berkeley-DB/Java

I found a different file to build BerkeleyDB and built it successfully:
/usr/ports/databases/p5-BerkeleyDB
Then I rebuilt OpenLDAP from here:
/usr/ports/net/openldap23-server
Following the OpenLDAP tutorial, I edited slapd.conf and created an example.ldif file. Then I ran:
ldapadd -x -D "cn=admin,dc=2012,dc=vi" -W -f example.ldif
(all correct for my domain/configuration). I was asked to give my LDAP password. When I entered it (exactly as is in the slapd.conf file) I was told that was incorrect:
ldap_bind: Invalid credentials (49)
This makes me believe that Berkeley isn't properly installed. How can I test that? What steps do you take to properly install this duo?
TIA,
Ted2

Atom Powers <atom.powers@gmail.com> wrote: On 9/8/06, Ted Johnson  wrote:
> Hi;
> I tried to install OpenLDAP, but it needs Berkeley-DB and complained that the version installed was incompatible. I tried compiling it without Berkeley (using GNU instead) but it wouldn't. I tried installing  Berkeley DB without Java (for simplicity's sake), but that didn't work. I tried moving that installation to where the ports would be but still no go. So I tried a make of the berkeley-db port but that complained it needed a Java plug-in that had to be loaded manually because of licensing restrictions.

I don't know why BDB would want Java (check make.conf?). I've done
several OpenLDAP/BDB installs recently and I never installed any kind
of Java.

Perfection is just a word I use occasionally with mustard.
--Atom Powers--