Date:      Thu, 19 Feb 1998 10:21:10 -0500
From:      Norman C Rice <nrice@emu.sourcee.com>
To:        me@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        scot@poptart.org, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Q: 4-port ethernet cards for -stable?

On Thu, Feb 19, 1998 at 03:56:59PM +0100, Michael Elbel wrote:
> In lists.freebsd.stable you write:
>
> >So the question is still how good the Adaptec cards are (because I can
> >actually just order one of those) - or if there are any resellers of the
> >Zynx cards  (I'm UK based so its a tad more than 40 minutes to get to Zynx's
> >offices ;-).
>
> >Cheers.
>
> We've had the same problem here, it's next to impossible to get a Znyx card
> here in Germany - their sales people were very helpful but there's just a
> single reseller here in Germany. We decided to try out the Adaptec Card and
> it's working pretty well. The only thing is that with the current setup I
> have to ifconfig the interface twice before the media type
> (10BaseT/100BaseT) is auto detected for the Hub we're using. Setting the
> media type manually doesn't work at all. The performance is pretty good tho
> once the interfaces are up.
>
> Michael
> --
> \|/
> -O- Michael Elbel, ConSol* GmbH, - mwe@consol.de - 089 / 45841-128
> /|\ Fermentation fault (coors dumped)

Great news about the Adaptec card. Anything special about the double
`ifconfig'? Does this eliminate the need to periodically use ifconfig
to bring the interface down and up? Do you see any

 kernel: deX: link down: cable problem?

messages?

Perhaps I can put the Adaptec cards to use for something other than
dust receptacles. ;-)
--
Regards,
Norman C. Rice, Jr.