Date:      Sat, 1 Jan 2000 14:39:51 -0500
From:      Keith Stevenson <k.stevenson@louisville.edu>
To:        Brian Fundakowski Feldman <green@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: OpenSSH protocol 1.6 proposal

On Sat, Jan 01, 2000 at 01:49:22PM -0500, Brian Fundakowski Feldman wrote:
> Let me know what you all think!  I still haven't quite decided, but I
> think packets which fail the SHA-1 test should be silently dropped, or
> have a counter of them, rather than dropping the connection.  Currently,
> the connection is dropped and error messages displayed/transmitted.  I
> welcome input on that and all parts of this proposal :)
>
> P.S.:	I realize other people may have proposed something very similar.
> 	Indeed, markus's proposal may be something like this.  However,
> 	since it's impossible to work with anyone who is Theo, or
> 	"under" Theo, it's unrealistic to work with that.  Hence the
> 	reason we need to make a code fork of OpenSSH as soon as
> 	convenient.

First of all, allow me to thank you for all of the work you have done
maintaining OpenSSH for FreeBSD.  I am looking forward to its entry into the
base tree. (I'm also planning to convert from SSH to OpenSSH on all my systems
as soon as it is feasible.)

That said, the prospect of having a FreeBSD specific branch of OpenSSH
disturbs me.  I manage an extremely heterogeneous Unix environment and
eventually hope to have OpenSSH running an all of my systems.  I am concerned
that if OpenSSH branches, that there will be inter-operability problems at some
point down the road.  While I appreciate the work that you are doing to make
OpenSSH more secure, and I understand the difficulties involved in working
with the OpenBSD folks, I urge you to try to avoid a code fork if it is at
all possible.  I don't want to one day have to decide which OpenSSH to deploy
on my systems.

Regards,
--Keith Stevenson--

--
Keith Stevenson
System Programmer - Data Center Services - University of Louisville