Date:      Tue, 19 Mar 2002 19:45:00 -0800
From:      Murray Stokely <murray@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "George V. Neville-Neil" <gnn@neville-neil.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Documents on FreeBSD Make system?

--Yylu36WmvOXNoKYn

On Mon, Mar 18, 2002 at 10:24:58AM -0800, George V. Neville-Neil wrote:
> Is there a set of docs or a Daemon News article on working with the BSD
> make system?  I'd like to write my code as closely to whatever that stand=
ard
> is as possible but reading through all the .mk files seems a bit less eff=
icient
> if there is a doc.

Hi George,

  The information is scattered over a few different places.

  /usr/share/doc/psd/12.make/paper.ascii.gz

	An excellent resource on make(1).  This documents much of the
	obscure make functionality used by our .mk files, that you may
	not be familiar with if you're not used to BSD / Sprite-based
	make.

  build(7)=20

        This manual page explains some of the common make variables
        and targets that are used by our .mk files, such as DESTDIR,
        TARGET_ARCH, etc.  It should probably be a bit more
        comprehensive, but it is a good start.

  The FreeBSD Developer's Handbook=20
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/developers-handbook/index.=
html

	Section 2.5 talks a bit about make, but clearly more
	information is needed.  This section should also point the
	reader to build(7).

  If you do write an article for Daemonnews, then please contribute it
to the Developer's Handbook after a month or so of allowing DN to be
the sole publisher.  [Or, you could just contribute it straight to the
FreeBSD Doc Project. ;)]

  Also, check out Nik Clayton's "Managing web sites with make" article
for Daemonnews from a couple of years ago.  He covered a lot of the
basics, so you can point readers to that article and then start out
assuming a certain level of experience.

	- Murray

--Yylu36WmvOXNoKYn

--Yylu36WmvOXNoKYn--