Date:      Wed, 27 May 1998 11:32:07 -0700
From:      Dale Phillips <dphi@ix.netcom.com>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD tcp/ip stack getting "smart?"

Just a question - pardon the lameness of this question....

I have a lone FreeBSD(2.2.6) and Linux(RH5.0) box in a heavy
windows NT network. with a few comercial unix boxes in the computer room.

netstat -
The linux box does not build up the route tables past the default routes

The freebsd box build up the route tables including the subnets in
our internal 10.net - (uses the netmask rather than metric?)

If freebsd can do this ... At what level is the following
written too? The microsoft wsp client - "sits where" - on the stack.
ip or tcp/ucp  see the following email.

This is an email from someone who was trying to help me to
get freebsd and linux to talk through the ms-proxy server ...
(I still haven't can't get thru the ms-proxy with either Freebsd or Linux)

>From: "Chris Ball (Excell Data Corporation)" <a-cball@microsoft.com>
>To: "'Dale Phillips'" <dphi@ix.netcom.com>
>Subject: RE: microsoft proxy server and RH5
>Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 15:08:14 -0800
>
>Unfortunately, that is always going to happen.  Ping doesn't support the
>rconnect() calls necessary to see across a SOCKS proxy, and Linux has no
>module yet written for SOCKS redirection like the WSP Client software does.
>I'm not even sure it can even be done for Linux.  It is worth a review of
>the code.
>
>Therefore, you will only be able to access outside hosts via SOCKS compliant
>apps.  Examples are Netscape, and the apps available on the
>http://www.socks.nec.com site (you will have to compile them yourself.)  I
>would try to buy the Network Admin lunch and see if he will help you
>troubleshoot, possibly with a sniffer.
>
>Chris Ball
>ABS Back Office Support Team
>Email:	a-cball@microsoft.com
>Kernel_Panic():
>	Init_Proc() failed with err_sz:
>	'Dave?  What do you think you're doing Dave?...'
>	See /dev/hda1/etc/var/mem.dump for mem/reg dump
eof

Dale Phillips
dphi@ix.netcom.com