Date:      Wed, 18 Oct 95 12:51:20 +0100
From:      cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de (Martin Cracauer)
To:        richard@pegasus.COM
Cc:        FreeBSD-Hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: motherboards with parity?

richard@pegasus.COM (Richard Foulk) wrote:

>I'd appreciate recommendations for PCI/Pentium motherboards that
>support parity memory.

>I understand that Intel is working on a fixed Triton chipset that will
>support parity checking, but I'm not sure I want to wait that long.
>And I'll gladly exchange some performance for greater reliability.

>So, which motherboards provide parity support and work well with BSD?

The Triton Chipset has much better performance, but as you noted,
doesn't suport partity.

The problem is, that other pentium chipsets not only have worse
performance, but also worse PCI support. You can't bet you can run
more than one SCSI card in a Neptun board.

If you're really looking for reliable hardware, maybe the server
hardware by vendors like HP may be your choice. I know they do some
(expensive) Machines with ECC memory. Don't know abut their PCI
capabilities.

Anyone on this list tried such a machine?

Martin
--
Martin Cracauer <cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de>  -  Fax +49 40 522 85 36