Date:      Fri, 05 Oct 2001 19:17:31 +0200
From:      John O'Connor <jpoc@jpoc.org>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Panic when installing

Hi,

I'm trying to install FreeBSD4.3.

The target system is a Pentium MMX 266 with 64MB or ram, two 1G SCSI
drives on an adaptec 2940, an IDE CD-ROM and a 3c509 network card.

The source media is the German CD-ROM set from Lehmanns.

(I'm living in Germany and this is the most easily available
distribution.)

(I know that 4.4 is now out but I run a website that is hosted on a 4.3
machine and, in order to test things before they go live, I want the
same OS etc.)

I cut two floppies from the CD-ROM distribution, put the kernel floppy
into the target machine (along with the first CD from the distribution
set) and hit the go button.

When the system attempt to book I get a panic with the following
details:

ifmedia_set: no match for 0x23/0xffffffff
panic: ifmedia_set

Immediately before that, the system appeared to recognise the 2940 and
the 3c509.

Any ideas?

--

John O'Connor