Date:      Thu, 22 Nov 2001 11:03:51 +0100
From:      rene@xs4all.nl
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   mxrec's + procmail + pgp + imap = email_happiness. but how?

Hi. I would like to create a *really* robust email setup.

My end-goal is to always have an imap server available to me that holds an
encrypted copy of *all* my historic email on *all* accounts, filtered into
a mailbox hierarchy.

I was thinking along the lines of having several prioritized mailservers with
procmail installed. Procmail should call a pgp-library to encrypt any
incoming email to my public key. It should then filter the headers and place
the encrypted mail in a specified mailbox file.

Because I want decryption done at the client-end
(private-key-security and anti-sniffing), the only option I can think of is
using IMAP with a client-side PGP plugin..

Are there any docs out there that will give me pieces of what I need?

I think I have a problem when one mailserver goes down and comes back up
later. The email will no longer be synchronized. I'd love to receive a clue on
how-not-to-create-that-problem, or on how-to-fix-it ;-)

I'd like to stress the requirement that says I want all my email available to
me at all times.

I can promise to write a HowTo on this subject which might
benefit others aswell..

And lastly, I'd like to get as many viewpoints as possible on
this matter, so gimme your .02 ;-)

Greets, Rene.