Date:      Sun, 10 Sep 2000 21:32:27 +0200
From:      sthaug@nethelp.no
To:        mike@mikesweb.com
Cc:        wizard@sybaweb.co.za, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NIC settings

> My reasoning was because of all the collisions, data packets were being
> resent at a high rate, filling up my T1s quicker, and causing a lot of
> interface resets on my router. When I went to a switch, I noticed about a
> 10% decrease in network traffic..

Then I think you should look for other causes for this change. A collision
does *not* result in a whole packet being "wasted" (as many people seem to
think) - it uses *up to* (512 + 32) bit, ie. 68 byte. You'd need a lot of
very small packets, and a rather high collision rate, to get a 10% increase
in traffic due to collisions.