Date:      17 Dec 1999 09:25:56 +0100
From:      Bjorn Danielsson <carbon-unit-1@urquell.pilsnet.sunet.se>
To:        Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
Cc:        freebsd hackers <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Resolv.conf question

Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> The 3.3 Box is a local server on a disconnected LAN talking
> to a "remote" server that spools mail, which is grabbed by
> fetchmail. We are running PPP on-demand to the external
> server via a dial-up to an ISP. However, PPP only holds the
> line up from 8am-8pm and this is happening at 1:59am, coinciding
> with the "periodic daily" scripts from crontab.

Try changing "netstat -i" to "netstat -ni" in the script
/etc/periodic/daily/420.status-network

Maybe the reverse dns lookup done by netstat -i tries to activate
ppp which then wipes /etc/resolv.conf. Just a crazy idea...

--
Björn Danielsson  KTHNOC / Swedish University Network
   (mail me for my real e-mail address)