Date:      Thu, 13 Dec 2001 11:29:34 +0000
From:      Rasputin <rasputin@submonkey.net>
To:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hosts.allow

* Krzysztof Zaraska <kzaraska@student.uci.agh.edu.pl> [011212 18:50]:
> On Wed, 12 Dec 2001 18:27:06 +0000 Rasputin wrote:
>

> > I just noticed I have a hosts.allow that is set up to all kinds of
> > wierd examples:
> >

> > # hosts.allow access control file for "tcp wrapped" applications.
> > # $FreeBSD: src/etc/hosts.allow,v 1.8.2.5 2001/08/30 16:02:37 dwmalone
> Exp $
> >
> > Should/is this enabled by default?
> At least my "stock" version [v 1.8.2.3 2000/07/20 15:17:44] had this near
> the top:
>
> # Start by allowing everything (this prevents the rest of the file
> # from working, so remove it when you need protection).
> # The rules here work on a "First match wins" basis.
> ALL : ALL : allow
>
> So the examples don't matter. But this default setup is insecure anyhow.

My objection was really that it's been installed by default, is presumably active,
and has lines such as:

ftpd : .nice.guy.example.com : allow
ftpd : .evil.cracker.example.com : deny
ftpd : ALL : allow

in it. If they were commented out, fair enough.
We've also got uncommented lines regarding the portmapper and other
services - I know the Ips are private, but who's to say what lives
on those Ips on my network?

I only knew this file existed because of a warning in messages yesterday.
The CVS header suggests it's been there since at least  August, but I'm not
sure it's a good thing to have in by default.

The default allow is fair enough, I suppose, since it preserves POLA,
but I'd question explicit allow/deny lines unless they're commented out.

--
In English, every word can be verbed.  Would that it were so in our
programming languages.