Date:      Wed, 24 May 2000 14:59:40 +0300
From:      Maxim Sobolev <SoboMax@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
Cc:        Arun Sharma <adsharma@sharmas.dhs.org>, FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Wrong permissions on /dev ?

Neil Blakey-Milner wrote:

> On Sun 2000-05-21 (23:35), Arun Sharma wrote:
> > I upgraded my 4.0-release laptop to 5.0-current today and my xe0 was
> > recognized by the driver and everything was great.
> >
> > There is a minor nit about the permissions on /dev. It was not readable
> > by others. So ps wouldn't work, because it could not open /dev/null.
>
> 'make world' doesn't (or at least, it shouldn't) touch permissions (or
> anything else) on /dev.  Or was this a snapshot binary install?

Make installworld (as an integral part of make world) *does* touch a
permissions, since it uses mtree to generate directory structure. Therefore,
mtree will change permissions of /dev as well as others dirs listed in its
specs if they doesn't match with the specs. I've stuck in this feature several
times when making installworld on machine with /tmp from other machine mounted
over NFS into /mnt - as a result /tmp on the other machine lost its magic 1777
and received 755 instead. For quite some time I was curious why did it happen
until found a correlation between these two events.

-Maxim