Date:      Mon, 3 Dec 2001 09:17:52 -0500
From:      Tim Pierce <twp@unchi.org>
To:        Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>
Cc:        jseger@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Building GCL on FreeBSD

On Sun, Dec 02, 2001 at 11:29:37PM -0800, Bakul Shah wrote:
> > I'm attempting to port GCL 2.4 to FreeBSD, so any clarification
> > of this problem would be much appreciated.
>
> No idea what the "not compatible with new signals" comment
> means.  I did a quick compile of gcl-2.4.0 and it does indeed
> fail.  Haven't investigated further.

I was able to build it after playing with the build process for a
day or so, but I did not change any signal-handling code.  Without
knowing what's supposed to be broken, I'm not sure whether it's
working or not.  I'll try experimenting with some signals and see
whether they appear to be handled properly.

> Would an alternate lisp do?  If it is maxima you are
> interested in, apparently it works on cmucl (which works on
> freebsd).

Well, GCL has come highly recommended by the hardcore Lisp hackers
I know on the strength of its compiler.  I know that CMUCL is also
highly regarded, but I find its build process even more frustrating.

> Sorry to say that Bill Schelter (wfs@mail.ma.utexas.edu) died
> in late July 2001 but someone on the maxima mailing list may
> be able to help you.  [I may be too but it has been ages
> since I have played with gcl or maxima]

Ouch, I had not heard that. :-(

--
Mr. Frumble's pickle car is green!
So is the spinach pouring from the spinach truck!