Date:      Tue, 24 Feb 1998 07:58:16 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, mike@smith.net.au, hasty@rah.star-gate.com, scrappy@hub.org, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATAPI related patch ..

> > Like many things, it requires a working VOP_{GET|PUT}PAGES.
>
> Do you have one?  Where is it in the queue of swallowable chunks?

Depends on what you are willing to swallow or not, doesn't it?  I can't
answer a subjective question.  Would it be the same code you would have
written had you taken the time to write it instead of me?  I don't know.

The VOP_{GET|PUT}PAGES in UFS is OK, and the recent hack for MFS is
OK, too.

What's left?

Any local media FS (any FS where the storage is managed by the FS
code, ie: none of the stacking FS's, and none of the remote FS's,
like AFS, CODA, or NFS).

> Sure.  And below the mapping (do you ever go that far down? 8) there
> lives a strategy handler, and that strategy handler gets passed an
> offset and a length, in some agreed block size.

That is, of course, what VOP_{GET|PUT}PAGES would be calling, in your
putative audio CD FS.  The one difference is that you would have to
have a block cache for four blocks in front of it to deal with assembly
of physical blocks into pages.

> All pie-in-the-sky stuff, of course.

Hardly.  If I send you the code for a local media FS to implement
VOP_{GET|PUT}PAGES, will you commit it?  You can even test it first,
by seeing if you can run FreeBSD binaries off it...

This is the type of code I class as "trivial"... ie: not a challenge
to write (which says nothing about the time involved).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.