Date:      Sun, 26 Jul 1998 11:47:49 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Francisco Reyes <reyesf@newsguy.com>
Cc:        "advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG" <advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: http://www.opensource.org/

On Saturday, 25 July 1998 at 11:07:45 -0400, Francisco Reyes wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Jul 1998 23:48:17 -0700, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>
>>> I don't see anything here suggesting that Eric's looking for this
>>> kind of material.
>>
>> I've talked to him in person and that's what he said to me.  I sort of
>> gritched that for an "Open Source" site it looked a lot more to me
>> like "Linux == Open Source" site, and he said that's only because no
>> FreeBSD folks had bothered to contact him about providing a more
>> balanced viewpoint.  So contact him! ;-)
>
> Greg,
>
> I started to look at the site too and it seemed interesting. I will
>
> I was planning to write to Eric today. I want to make sure we don't
> bombard him with emails. I think we should organize the contact
> effort through the list so anyone who wants to comment on the
> material being sent can make "CONSTRUCTIVE" comments.
>
> Would you like to write the initial letter or if you don't have time
> let me know and I will write it.

OK, I'll do it.  Give me an hour or two.

> From what Jordan wrote it seems the initial contact letter would be
> an inquire in which areas of the site we can give him a "more
> balanced viewpoint".

Quite honestly, I don't see that the web page is that unbalanced.  It
does mention Linux much more than FreeBSD, but there's a lot more
Linux out there, so that doesn't make it unbalanced.

I think probably the best thing we can suggest is a page on "Free
UNIX: your choice", with a summary (2 paragraphs or so) on each
flavour, and with plenty of links to follow up to.  Comments?

Greg