Date:      Thu, 22 May 1997 01:50:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      viva el conde tupac amaru <one@fc.net>
To:        freebsd-bugs
Subject:   Re: kern/3661: System locked up while editing rc.conf, when revived, it was not there and after restoring it, most all system files were corrupted.

The following reply was made to PR kern/3661; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: viva el conde tupac amaru <one@fc.net>
To: Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 03:42:27 -0500 (CDT)

 On Thu, 22 May 1997, J Wunsch wrote:

 > As one@freeside.fc.net wrote:
 >
 > > As above...virtually all files corrupted.  Console locked, LEDs
 > > would not do anything, hitting any keys [incl. c-a-d] was futile.
 > > Editing with vi.
 >
 > As hard as this event is for you -- but your bug report is nothing
 > that can be handled.  You've only sent out your frustration, but not
 > even _a single_ bit of related information (was it a SCSI bus hang?,
 > what drives do you have?  what filesystems at all?).  So i'm afraid
 > there's nothing in the system we could really fix based on this
 > report, so we will eventually only be able to close it as it stands
 > now.

 Sorry...everything's IDE.
 /dev/wd0 [primary, first] was a 4GB EIDE HDD
 [secondary, first drive] was a ATAPI CDROM.

 No idea why it hung, but it was a full hang, nothing worked, even the
 keyboard LEDs didn't respond.

 have the default /, /var, /usr filesystems.  Never hung on me /w 2.1.6 or
 2.2.1 for months then everything's gone...I was a little weird, sorry.

 Thanks,
 	Craig Anthony