Date:      Wed, 13 Dec 95 10:52:39 CST
From:      laufen@sol.med.ge.com (Derek Laufenberg  x7-4534)
To:        wollman@lcs.mit.edu
Cc:        hackers@freefall.freebsd.org, questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: loopback and multicast messed up on /etc/sysconfig ?

> <<On Wed, 13 Dec 1995 00:15:24 -0600 (CST), Raul Zighelboim <mango@communique.net> said:
>
> > The problem is in:
> > # route_multicast="224.0.0.0 -netmask 0xf0000000 -interface ${hostname}"
> > # route_loopback="${hostname} localhost"
>
> > If I uncomment this line in sysconfig, the system will not boot.
>
> This line is broken.  It /never/ correct to refer to hosts by this
> early in the configuration process, and more importantly, host names
> DO NOT NAME INTERFACES.
>
> The correct way to set this up is as follows:
>
> route_multicast="224.0.0.0 -netmask 0xf0000000 -interface IP.OF.DESIRED.IFACE"
>
> Furthermore, the `route_loopback' bit is completely bogus, and should
> not be present at all.
>
> -GAWollman

Thanks Garrett.  This helps me alot.  I've always thought this was wrong
but didn't fully understand what was going on so I wasn't sure.  It also
explains why the system hangs (waits for timeout) when you enable NIS and
try to boot.

I've always just hacked the IP # into those lines in sysconfig but wondered
if I was incorrect in doing so.

What is the `route_loopback' trying to do anyhow?

Derek Laufenberg
laufen@sol.med.ge.com