Date:      Sun, 15 Mar 1998 11:50:49 -0500
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>, Niklas Saers <beren@saers.com>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: miroMEDIA PCTV and Matrox Millenium

(Sorry about the time lag.  Another post buried in my list folder.)

Amancio Hasty:
 |Niklas Saers:
 | |Amancio Hasty:
 | |> I don't think we support 24bit for the Matrox millenium . Try 32bit or
 | |> 16bit which is usually what run at every time.
 | |
 | |What are the reasons for this? I mean, about everything else works
 | |perfectly in 24 bit and XFree86 with my Matrox. :)
 | |
 |I forgot :(

When I added the pixel format stuff, best as I could figure, only one of
the two byte swapped packed 24bpp pixel formats was attainable with the
Bt848 (works on S3 chipsets like my Virge/VX).  You can see the supported
driver RGB pixel formats using fxtv -debug startup:

     Supported RGB Capture Pixel Formats:
        bpp  Bpp  RGB Masks                     Swap
        ---  ---  ----------------------------  ----
         15   2   00007c00, 000003e0, 0000001f  NB
         16   2   0000f800, 000007e0, 0000001f  NB
         24   3   00ff0000, 0000ff00, 000000ff   B        <-----------
         24   4   00ff0000, 0000ff00, 000000ff  NBWb

Which frame buffer format can't be queried in XFree 3.3.1 and prior
versions (I've been told that it might be in a future version though) so
Fxtv tries to guess the Bpp from the Display pixel formats or visual depth,
and it makes the user specify the pixel format swaps via resources:

Try these two commands:

            fxtv -xrm "Fxtv.bswap3Bpp: true"
            fxtv -xrm "Fxtv.bswap3Bpp: false"

one of them will give you DirectVideo.  If the colors look good, great --
keep it.  If the colors are "psychedelic", the frame buffer format of your
card is the unsupported Bt848 24bpp swap format.  Note: it may be that the
Millenium supports both 24bpp frame buffer orders, but that your X server
just configuring up the one the Bt848 doesn't happen to support.

Randall

Jonathan Hanna:
 |On 26-Feb-98 Amancio Hasty wrote:
 |> I don't think we support 24bit for the Matrox millenium . Try 32bit or
 |> 16bit which is usually what run at every time.
 |
 |I am using Fxtv with the Matrox Millenium at 24bit (1280x1024 with 4M),
 |XFree86.

Hmmm...  Maybe diff server?  Possibly 32bpp frame buffer format in reality?
Don't know without more info.

Randall