Date:      Wed, 03 May 2000 11:57:24 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
Cc:        "Daniel J. Zaccariello" <marisombra@mindspring.com>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, John Papalia <john@jpepconsulting.com>, Jeremiah Gowdy <jgowdy@home.com>, smkelly@slashnet.org, insane@lunatic.oneinsane.net, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and IRC

It may be that only the "heavy hitters" in this thread see it for the
senseless waste of time that it is, I don't know.  I do know that
discussing IRC on the freebsd-advocacy list is never going to change
the behavior of anyone on IRC or make *ANY* substantive difference so
why keep on beating this dead horse?  It's dead, Jim!

You got your amended FAQ entry but evidently this wasn't enough to
keep you and Mr. Zaccariello from harping on about it.  You want the
channel renamed?  Fine, figure out how to force channel renaming on
IRC.  You want everyone involved on such channels to be kinder,
gentler, thousand points of light George Bush fans?  Fine, figure out
how to engineer the IRC people with neurolinguistic programming
techniques or something - perhaps you could write a set of 'bots which
spit special mind-altering phrases like "gosh, I feeling helpful" or
"Get out and vote for George W Bush!" into the channel every 15
minutes.  Knock yourselves out, but for goddsake stop whining about it
here in -advocacy and stop trying to widen it into some sort of "Why
FreeBSD-core hates newbies" polemic.

This isn't about newbies or the project's attitute towards them and it
never will be for as long as the topic of discussion involves IRC.  If
you genuinely want to talk about THAT then let's discuss how to make
the freebsd-questions list a better place or how to improve the web
pages.  Stop trying to drag everyone here into the EFNET brush wars
under the pretense of somehow trying to advance the cause of advocacy!

- Jordan