Date:      Tue, 27 Aug 1996 09:33:17 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        sos@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        regnauld@tetard.glou.eu.org, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Specs on a Hitachi CM2085me monitor anybody ??

> > 	But as Terry pointed out (and the problem was  also brought up last
> > 	time), any user land stuff would  just blow away  and be useless in
> > 	kernel debugging (resetting the VGA board).
>
> Hmm, in the version of syscons that I'm currently working on there is
> support for adding a new ioctl via a LKM, that can be used to load
> special code to modify you timing. Also If you can tell me what
> H&V-sync your monitor can handle, I can probably do a small patch
> to the mode setting code that will allow you to use your monitor
> for std modes ie 80x25, 80x50 etc...

How do you deal with XF86_S3 reprogramming your dot clocks?  You need
to restore them as well...

No, the only valid full-recovery mechanism is to build a finite state
automaton, and don't let it wind state that you can't unwind.  If they
want something better than 800x600 on a Diamond card for X, for instance,
then they need to load a non-default card driver that can wind and
unwind the state to get there without the X code in user space writing
to the port address space.

There are good security reasons for taking this ability away from the
server anyway; it does too many "requires root" things as it is...

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.