Date:      Tue, 29 May 2007 16:46:00 +1000
From:      Norberto Meijome <freebsd@meijome.net>
To:        Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Working quite well : xorg7.2, DRI, suspend, Radeon Mobility X600

On Tue, 29 May 2007 16:09:57 +1000 (EST)
Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au> wrote:

> FWIW: for my T23 (6.1-R, xorg 6.9) to work reliably with suspend/resume
> from either a vty or from X I needed
>   hw.syscons.sc_no_suspend_vtswitch=1

interesting...the comments in my sysctl.conf about it locking up my thinkpad are from pre-radeon/DRM support times, so it may be different now (I just rather avoid another bg fsck :-|

>   hw.acpi.reset_video=0
> but with no mods to rc.{suspend,resume}

I added some code in them both to disable the video outputs (using radeontool from ports)of the laptop before suspend and bringing them back up after. I read in a list it's supposed to save some battery power.

I also restart moused on .resume as it's usually hosed.I haven't changed these scripts for a llloooonnggggg time.

> however after quitting X the screen was (and still sometimes? is) blank,
> as you described elsewhere recently; things 'work' but with no video.
>
> In my case loading VESA helped, as setting any of the vtys with (say)
> vidcontrol 80x30 meant that vty would later display correctly (and after
> selecting that one, so would the others still at the default 80x24) but
> if I'd neglected to do that before starting X (I use startx), running
> this particularly weird script works to restore the text mode vtys:
>
> % cat ~/bin/fixme
> #!/bin/sh
> # strangely enough, this invalid mode restores vttyX with the error message:
> # vidcontrol: cannot activate raster display: Inappropriate ioctl for device
> vidcontrol VESA_800x600

weird...

> At least I can reliably type 'fixme' blind .. there's bound to be a more
> elegant fix, but this gets me back on the road ..

:-D
{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

"He has the attention span of a lightning bolt."
  Robert Redford