Date:      Mon, 24 Aug 1998 22:34:24 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Willem Jan  Withagen <wjw@surf.IAE.nl>
To:        egravel@juno.com
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RAID Controller

In article <19980824.103622.-97107.0.egravel@juno.com> you write:
>On Sun, 23 Aug 1998 22:55:14 +0200 "Lutz Rabing" <LutzRab@omc.net>
>writes:
>>We use 2.2.6 and need to setup a box with two 4GB drives. Speed is not
>>an issue here, just security. Does anyone have a recommendation on a
>>reasonable priced RAID controller that works fine with FreeBSD?
>
>I was wondering pretty much the same thing.  I want to setup an external
>RAID box on a FreeBSD machine.  Which ones will work?  Which controller is
>the best/most stable/quickest to respond with FreeBSD?  I'm looking for
>something hotswapable, with redundant power supplies.  I've been looking at
>Adaptec RAID controllers for now, and have been thinking of purchasing a
>dual PII MB with onboard RAID II port and AIC-7895 controller.  Any
>suggestions?

I, personally, am more than pleased with the DPT 3444UW controller.
And there is only one reason why we're not (yet) using them as RAID's in our
current servers:
	The only warning you get, that there's something bad with your disks
	is the beeper.
	Then you have to go into DOS to get it fixed.

But the creator of the drivers is working on tools to manage the card. Which
should be in 3.n. So probably we'll be going DPT-RAID by Jan '99.

Currently doing RAID with hardware scsi-scsi RAID. Problem there is more or
less the same. To be able to interface to the controller, you need to parse
the fancy vt100 screen-output, or use the beeper.

--WjW

--
Internet Access Eindhoven BV.,  voice: +31-40-2 393 393, data: +31-40-2 606 606
P.O. 928, 5600 AX Eindhoven, The Netherlands