Date:      Mon, 9 May 2011 20:21:45 -0400
From:      Jason Hellenthal <jhell@DataIX.net>
To:        Gordon Tetlow <gordon@tetlows.org>
Cc:        freebsd-rc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [RFC][Change-Request] Create usefulness in rc.subr etc/rc.conf.d/*.conf namespace.

--qGV0fN9tzfkG3CxV

Gordon,

On Mon, May 09, 2011 at 04:50:57PM -0700, Gordon Tetlow wrote:
> On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 12:04 PM, Jason Hellenthal <jhell@dataix.net> wrot=
e:

> > Gordon,

> >> While this is a very cool script, I have to wonder how far we have
> >> strayed if we require another tool to tell us how the system is
> >> configured. Surely we should be aiming for simplicity in our
> >> implementation and not something incredibly complex.
> >>
> >> After Jason's proposal, we would have the following list of configurat=
ion files:

> >> /etc/defaults/rc.conf
> >> /etc/rc.conf
> >> /etc/rc.conf.local
> >
> > What seems to be lost here is that the below two are "optional" not
> > something that should be created by anything other than the user who ne=
eds
> > that functionality. Yes having two of the below is a problem. Yes {name}
> > needs to go. But until there is something to replace it in a way that is
> > agreed on we cant get rid of the broken {name} implement.
>=20
> The {name} implementation isn't broken, it just doesn't do what you want =
it to.
>=20
> I would be hesitant to remove the {name} implementation, it's been
> there since the 5.x days. It's hard to say how many installations rely
> on it being there.
>=20

Though I would like to I agree with that. You dint just introduce an=20
interface and remove it later down the road with a long winded deprecation=
=20
process. This certainly could be the start of that deprecation process.

"It just doesn't do what it is suggested to do" not what I want it to do=20
by rc.conf(5) which is part of the reason why this patch came into play.=20

You can't just provide a space to use and then suggest to the user that=20
they only use certain undocumented names that are provided by rc.d/*=20
scripts. It's a waste of their time thinking that they can just put for=20
instance 'jail, jail1, jail2' in rc.conf.d and it'll work. It does not=20
unless you start adding source this and that lines to the end of every=20
file and that would not be right to suggest to the end-user either.

Though if it is documented well enough I do not see any fathomable reason=
=20
why a user should not be allowed to make up a name that contains what they=
=20
want to be in it. The rc.conf.d directory suggests its very use just as=20
anyone would believe about usr/local/etc/apache22/Includes/*.conf.

Out of all the opposition yet I still have not seen a valid response of=20
"what is wrong with letting the user decide how they name a configuration=
=20
file?". I keep seeing the opposite of well you can do this and you can do=
=20
that with shell scripting options. That shocks me as this is like stated=20
before a user specified created and maintained directory.

--=20

 Regards, (jhell)
 Jason Hellenthal

--qGV0fN9tzfkG3CxV