Date:      Sun, 12 Apr 1998 23:59:07 +0000
From:      Niall Smart <rotel@indigo.ie>
To:        Klaus Werner Krygier <krygier@kph.uni-mainz.de>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux emulation problem

On Apr 12, 12:42pm, Klaus Werner Krygier wrote:
} Subject: Linux emulation problem

> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to force the Linux emulator to use the /compat/linux
> tree only for shared libraries and other system files but not on the
> user level?
>
> Instead of files and directories in the / tree the /compat/linux tree is
> accessed. Especially addressing of a subdirectory for which the
> corresponding /compat/linux directory exists yields in accessing ONLY the
> Linux files. The same effect occurs for example if you use a Linux find:
> 	$ ./find /etc
> 	/etc
> 	/etc/host.conf
> 	/etc/ld.so.conf
> 	/etc/ld.so.cache
> 	/etc/revision-history
> 	/etc/nsswitch.conf
> 	$
> Can anyone give us some helpful hints how to solve this problem?

I just noticed that if you create /compat/linux/foo as a symlink
to /etc then linux binaries get the contents of the "real" /etc,
however I consider this to be broken and have send-pr'd it.

Perhaps you could fork off a FreeBSD tar process to collect the
files for you?

Niall

--
Niall Smart.  Microsoft Suck.  See www.freebsd.org for details.
echo "#define if(x) if(!(x))" >> /usr/include/stdio.h