Date:      Mon, 19 Jun 2000 20:33:37 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@flugsvamp.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kblob discussion.

* Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com> [000619 20:19] wrote:
> > Actually, I think I'm looking at a *bigger* picture - what can we do to
> > make FreeBSD a better platform for real-world applications?
>
> For a very common application, yes.  WWW serving is not FreeBSD's strong
> point, IMO.

Nate, i don't think "out of touch" even begins to describe what
your statement implies about your perceptions of FreeBSD's current
userbase.

> As a matter of fact, I'd venture to guess that FreeBSD is used in more
> embedded systems as a 'network' platform than it's ever used as a WWW
> server.

Without hard proof I'd be pressed to see it either way.

> However, it just so happens that recently it seems that Yahoo has been
> pushing *HARD* for alot of WWW-server specific changes, that have little
> usefulness outside of that specific application.

I don't work for Yahoo.  Don't blame Yahoo, blame me, I'm the
one looking to make FreeBSD faster for network operations.

Yahoo was perfectly happy keeping these changes private until I
begged them for some tricks that would make us be able
to serve that much content with so little CPU utilization.

The accept filters are Yahoo's, kblob is mine.  And I'd really
appreciate you not 'blaming' a strong backer of FreeBSD for my
actions.

> > The ability to send static content in the most efficient manner possible
> > is a key "big picture" item.  You're so tied up in what would be the most
> > wonderful engineering solution that you're completely ignoring this.
>
> You're so wrapped up with building WWW server that you've completely
> ignored the rest of the developer community, who actually have needs for
> something *more generic* that you're incapable of seeing the forest
> since you've gotta cut down that one tree fast, and who gives a rip what
> anyone else needs to do in the forest...

Actually at this point I'm going to make kblob more modular even
though nothing about it's current state prevents the expansion from
happening at a later point.

I'll have it up for review in a day or so.

pfft.
-Alfred