Date:      Wed, 9 Sep 1998 20:56:21 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Feldman <green@unixhelp.org>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG

I've found a bit a few problems when trying to build certain ports in the
tree after converting to ELF. That problem being the shared library
dependency mechanism, I've found what seems to amount to a solution. In
the current usage, in the broken ports I've looked at, the library
greppage has looked something like "Xpm\\.4\\.", which indicated a major
AND a minor number on the shared library. However the ELF rtld does not
use libraries with minors, nor does ldconfig. So, if one were to take off
the finally \\., it should work on both ELF and a.out systems. The other
problem is that library dependencies just don't work right on lots of
ports in respect to building and rpaths. Case in point, mgv:
cc -O2 -O -pipe -D_POSIX_SOURCE  -I/usr/X11R6/include -s  -L/usr/local/lib
-L/usr/X11R6/lib -o mgv  Ghostview.o app.o auto.o center.o dsc.o events.o
file.o  help.o log.o magstep.o main.o mark.o media.o mgv.o mgv_create.o
options.o orientation.o page.o page_control.o print.o process.o  scroll.o
sens.o strings.o toolbar.o track.o uiutil.o unmangle.o util.o  view.o
zoom.o _ad.o _switch_help.o _bld.o -Lwlib -lwlib  -lXm -lXmu -lXt -lXpm
-lXext -lX11
/usr/libexec/elf/ld: warning: libSM.so.6, needed by
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXmu.so, not found (try using --rpath)
/usr/libexec/elf/ld: warning: libICE.so.6, needed by
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXmu.so, not found (try using --rpath)
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so: undefined reference to `SmcSaveYourselfDone'
(more undefined symbols etc etc etc Stop. Stop. Stop. Stop.)

I suppose that this is more of a problem with XFree86's libraries not
being 'good' and setting their paths, but I have a feeling this is still
the wrong thing for ld to do when given paths but not rpaths.

Brian Feldman
green@unixhelp.org