Date:      Tue, 13 Aug 1996 08:52:22 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jason Kuri <jaykuri@oneway.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Eric.Chan@nswcc.org.au
Subject:   WWW on FreeBSD v2.0

>        Hi, I am stuck on setting up 2 CERN Httpd v3.0 Web servers on a
>single machine running FreeBSD v2.0.  I was told to set up an IP alias on
>the server, so that one of  Httpd servers will point to a IP alias. (But I
>don't know how to get it done, Httpd only listens to the port 80 on the
>machine, but not relate to IP address.  Could the 2 Httpd Servers
>listening on the same port 80?)
>
>        What my company wants is to have 2 separate WWW servers running
>on a single machine with different URL name, such as www.nbcc.org.au
>(this one exists already) and www.nswcc.org.au(need to be implemented).
>
>        Have you ever encountered this kind of set up?  If you do, could
>you please give me any clues/info on it?

    I've seen things like this done before.  Heres what I know:
If you want to run 2 different sites, with different 'hostnames', and have
each base URL (such as http://www.nbcc.org.au) go to a different URL, the
way I've seen it done is as follows.  You give the machine two IP's, and
set up the DNS for www.nbcc.org.au to point to one, and the www.nswcc.org
to point to the other IP.  The HTTPD has configuration files that let you
tell it which IP's should point to which pages.  My experience has been
with Apache, so I don't know how/if CERN does this.  Apache does this
pretty well.
    Only one HTTPD runs, and it sorts out from the incoming connection
which page it should go to.  Apache's web page tells all about it:
http://www.apache.org/docs/virtual-host.html.  Again, my experience has
been with apache, so I'm not all that sure about CERN.  Just wanted to
drop my 2 cents.  Good luck!

Jay K.