Date:      Sun, 30 Sep 2001 08:49:47 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Mike Harding <mvh@ix.netcom.com>
Cc:        admin@rshb.com.ru, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dirpref gives massive performance boost

In message <20010930152404.581A8133C1@netcom1.netcom.com>, Mike Harding
writes:

> Um - what about my question?  Is the newfs necessary?  Repartitioning,
> backup, and restore also require a backup medium, etc.

The more of your filesystem that has had its files allocated using the
new dirpref, the greater the benefit.

There was a comment made earlier in another thread on another list (see
archives) that the new dirpref has the risk of greater fragmentation.
There were no responses to the comment.  I'm not sure whether this is
just a concern someone had or whether the risk is real.  The fact that
there were no replies to that comment seems to indicate we just don't
know yet.

In some OpenBSD mailing list archives (search Google) there were
comments about dirpref + softupdates being 60x faster than UFS without
the two features.

Regards,                         Phone:  (250)387-8437
Cy Schubert                        Fax:  (250)387-5766
Team Leader, Sun/Alpha Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD
Ministry of Management Services
Province of BC