Date:      Sat, 7 Jul 2001 12:28:18 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Michal Mertl <mime@traveller.cz>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AMD Athlon MP & Tyan Thunder K7 (for server ?)

I was also considering buying one for server (instead of ASUS CUR-DLS and
2xPIII) but am a bit afraid of two things.

The Onboard NICs are 3c920 which should be compatible with 3c905C-TX but
in some other post in this group or on stable I've read they don't
work. Well I might easily buy additional NICs that's now big problem only
wasted HW.

The other (and more serious for me) is the problem with power supplies.
For this board you should get quality 400W (in my case 2x) and that's
difficult to get (at least for rackmountable cases). Also I don't like the
heat Athlon processors produce - in case processor fan stops working you
need to shutdown very fast else the processor is damaged.

What some of you server guys think about my concerns?

--
Michal Mertl
mime@traveller.cz