Date:      28 Mar 2002 14:29:18 +1200
From:      David Turnbull <dsturnbull@optushome.com.au>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Timezone changes

I've taken up the local cable TV network (optus, telstra) practice of
using AEST and AEDT instead of just EST in Australia, so I edited
/usr/src/share/zoneinfo/australasia to produce these timezones.

# New South Wales
# Rule  NAME    FROM    TO      TYPE    IN      ON      AT      SAVE
LETTER/S

Rule    AN      1996    max     -       Mar     lastSun 2:00s   0
Rule    AN      2000    only    -       Aug     lastSun 2:00s   1:00
-
Rule    AN      2001    max     -       Oct     lastSun 2:00s   1:00
# Zone  NAME            GMTOFF  RULES   FORMAT  [UNTIL]
Zone Australia/Sydney   10:04:52 -      LMT     1895 Feb
                        10:00   Aus     EST     1971
                        10:00   AN      AE%sT

After installing the new tz file:
su-2.05a# date
Thu Mar 28 13:23:09 AEDT 2002

Fast forward to a date after daylight savings time ends:
su-2.05a# date 200207070707
Sun Jul  7 07:07:00 AEST 2002

Back to normal:
su-2.05a# date 200203281324
Thu Mar 28 13:24:00 AEDT 2002

I'm wondering why this isn't the default behaviour, is it because it'll
break things or what?