Date:      Mon, 27 Jan 1997 03:18:10 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Hal Snyder <hal@vailsys.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: directory conventions

On Mon, 27 Jan 1997, Hal Snyder wrote:

> I just got the following from Blair Zajac, who is working on the next
> release of amanda:
>
> > I'm working on Amanda 2.3.0.4 right this minute.  It's got a lot of
> > patches included in it, but probably the biggest deal is that it now
> > uses automake and autoconf to build the sources.
> > Finally, since I've been converting this to automake, GNU has some standard
> > places where it likes to shove things.  Right now Amanda 2.3.0.4 uses the
> > following distribution:
> >
> >             $prefix/bin                 Amanda server side programs
> >             $prefix/libexec             Amanda backup client programs
> >             $prefix/share/amanda        Runtime configuration files
> >             $prefix/share/amanda-index  Directory for index of dumps
> >             $prefix/var/amanda          Directory for database & log files
> >
> > I figure that the configuration files and the indexing files can go under
> > share, since they are in a format that all OS'es can understand.  However,
> > the log files and the database (curinfo) files may be OS dependent and should
> > go into another directory, say var.  This is all customizable using the
> > options that configure provides to change the locations of where stuff gets
> > installed.  Does anybody have any good ideas or comments on this?
>
> Prefix for BSD's is /usr/local.
>
> My guess is that config files should go to /usr/local/etc.
>
> What is the diff in purpose between /usr/local/libexec and
> /usr/local/bin?

  libexec is for executables that are generally executed by other programs
(ie. backends).  It normaly doesn't make any sense to exec program here
directly, and libexec is never in the stanard PATH.

> What is /usr/local/share for?  Portable bits, as Blair suggests?

  Arch independant ASCII files, normally.

> And what of /usr/local/var?

  /var has always been "local".

  You you should probably "man hier"