Date:      Tue, 19 May 1998 23:54:29 -0700
From:      Josef Grosch <jgrosch@superior.mooseriver.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, jgrosch@superior.mooseriver.com, Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Original PC (was: talk (fwd))

On Wed, May 20, 1998 at 04:04:42PM +0930, Greg Lehey wrote:
> On Tue, 19 May 1998 at 23:24:35 -0700, Josef Grosch wrote:

[ DELETED ]

> > If memory servers me right, the original IBM-PC was a semi rouge operation
> > based in Boca Raton, Fl. I remember reading in Byte at the time, back in
> > the days when Byte was worth reading before it became just another media
> > toady for Microshit and this is covered in "Revenge of the Nerds" or
> > "Accidental Empires", the suits at IBM were very nervous about missing the
> > boat with the PC. This is 1979-1980. The Apple II was selling like cold
> > beer at a double header in the middle of august all thanks to VisCala and
> > Steve Jobs. The comment was "If we do this like a normal (IBM) product
> > it'll take 4 years to ship."
> >
> > I think CP/M 86 and 86-DOS was after the introduction of the
> > IBM-PC.
>
> No, that's not the case.  86-DOS was in fact the name under which
> Seattle Computer Products marketed their QDOS (Quick and Dirty
> Operating System).  I bought a copy in about November 1980, along with
> a couple of S-100 boards.  Does Thunderboard sound right?  IIRC it was
> an 8 MHz 8086 and a combined 256 kB memory board [in my case,
> populated with only 64 kB] and UART, and it supported *up to 1 MB of
> RAM*.  By comparison, the PC looked a little feeble when it was
> announced the following year.

OK, I am very fuzzy about CP/M 86 and 86-DOS. My only experience with CP/M
was my old Kapro machine which I am sure is doing great service at the
bottom of Lake Minnetonka.

> > I think the reason they went with Intel instead of Motorola was
> > Intel told them the chip was ready, and Motorola told them 6
> > months. Intel lied and shipped late. Motorola shipped when they said
> > they would but by that time they had missed their window.
>
> No, I don't believe that.  The 8086 had been out for years, and I'm
> sure I saw 68Ks in 1980.

Well, I picked up this bit of urban legend when I worked at Motorola. Sour
grapes I guess.

--
Josef Grosch           | Another day closer to a |    FreeBSD 2.2.7
jgrosch@MooseRiver.com |   Micro$oft free world  | UNIX for the masses