Date:      Sat, 7 Mar 1998 20:33:24 -0500
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Jesse Walters <jwalt@mwci.net>, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mpeg (fwd)

Jesse Walters:
 |Ok, i didn't do my homework on this one.  In the ports section, I am
 |trying to get mpeg2play to install.  It says Motif required.  I have a
 |basic idea on what motif is, assuming it is a agreed upon windows like
 |interface.  I am running x with the fvwm95 emu.  What do I have to
 |"install" etc so it takes care of the Motif error.  Again, sorry for my
 |ignorance.

I wouldn't sweat trying to get mpeg2play to run.  It only supports 8bpp
PseudoColor visuals, and playing MPEGs in that mode really dogs performance
doing color conversion (even on my P233MMX).  It doesn't support sound in
system streams either.  mpeg_play and mtv (the latter supporting sound)
both support TrueColor visuals, so I'd go with them.

But just in case you're still curious about Motif, it's both the name given
to a commercial X/Windows widget (GUI) toolkit (the meaning that's relevent
in this case) and also the name given to the commercial X/Windows window
manager (executable = "mwm") that is build on that widget toolkit.

You can identify apps that are dynamically linked with the Motif toolkit by
doing an ldd on them and seeing a "libXm.so...." library dependency.
You'll see this if you do a "ldd /usr/X11R6/bin/mpeg2play".

To run these apps, you can buy the Motif runtime from somewhere (Xi, SWIM,
etc.), install a Motif toolkit clone (e.g. see "lesstif" in the ports
collection), or get the person that build the executable to link the Motif
library statically into the executable (Netscape is one example of this).

Randall

P.S.  See http://www.mpeg.org/MPEG/bitstreams.html for some MPEG goodies.