Date:      Wed, 5 Aug 1998 10:04:27 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@hotjobs.com>
To:        Bill Paul <wpaul@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Etherlink XL driver

using the first version of the driver posted on 100mb segement seemed to
have not great performance.  The admin here said he was able to get
~8megs/sec over the segment using Linux and 11megs/sec via Solaris, the
FreeBSD driver was never over 4.5megs and averaged around 3-3.5.  This is
ftp transfers.  It seems to grab a LOT of data, then "stall" then grab,
stall over and over.

I know this is an older driver, i'll compile him a new kernel with the
latest snapshot to see if there is an improvement.  Just thought to let
you know.

This is on a -current box with a PCI card 905b on 100/TX.  The driver was
acting in full duplex mode, perhaps it should have been set to half-duplex
and it was tripping on itself?

The driver seems quite stable though, playing mp3s over NFS, while not a
true "benchmark" works fine.  My personal workstation is on a 10mbit
segment and has had an uptime of 2days so far, no problems i can see.

On a 10mbit segment though the driver (perhaps it's the card as i've not
heard great reviews about the 905b) seems not be as fast as the de driver
on a tulip chipset.

Again, sorry this is a older version of the driver.  Both boxes will be
setup with the newer snapshots and if you're interested i'll post the
performance.

Thank you,
Alfred Perlstein
--

Programmer @ HotJobs Inc. [- http://www.hotjobs.com/ -]
|-- There are operating systems, and then there's BSD.